Monday, May 9, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: Red Queen by Victoria


This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.


“Anyone can betray anyone.” 

First of all, I'd like to say I could not put this book down once I started it. Hell, I finished it one day - (and night?) even though I had classes the following day. I don't know how I did it but, I did. Total book hangover. I soaked up every page. It wasn't boring at all. 

WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS! 


So here we have our heroine, Mare Barrow. A girl living in a world where there are divisions. Not only is she red-blooded, she is also considered talentless which turns her into a reckless thief who tries to steal from the crown prince of her country one night. After their little encounter, the Prince, Tiberias Calore gets her a job as a maid at the palace. 

Then everything goes wild. Mare disovers her Silver-like abilities which is an abomination, which makes her different so the royal palace has to hide it. Mare is turned into a long lost princess and is submerged into the luxurious life of a Silver and is suddenly engaged too. Basically, Mare is dropped into the Silver life and she is in a dangerous position - one that she cannot escape. And when we think we get the gist of everything and find out what the problem's of the book are, we get the PLOT TWIST. And this was one hell of a plot twist that made everything in me explode. And while I'm at it, my favorite character is a person who was only mentioned less than 5 times in this book. It seems impossible but with this book, it isn't! (I REALLY LOVE THIS CHARACTER AND I HOPE YOU FALL IN LOVE WITH HIM TOO.)

The story reminds me of Game of Thrones because of Queen Elara. Who knew she was an evil, manipulating woman? I didn't want to believe it at first but people are just full of surprises.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was really easy to get into, hence, me finishing it in one night. Even though some of it was familiar, it kept me guessing. I had different guesses about who was going to betray who or who was going to end up with who... and none of my hunches were right. 

10/10!! I definitely recommend this book to people who love dystopian fantasy novels like me! I'm a sucker for those. Princesses, powers, castles and royalty. Let me experience that for a day, please? 

1 comment

  1. I have seen A LOT of reviews on this, but never really got the chance to read it YET. :)

    Nice review! Now I feel like I wanna grab this book the next time I'm at the mall. Hehe!

    xx jhanzey.net

    ReplyDelete

© baby face
Maira Gall