Tuesday, June 14, 2016

BOOK REVIEW: The Crown by Keira Cass


When Eadlyn became the first princess of Illéa to hold her own Selection, she didn’t think she would fall in love with any of her thirty-five suitors. She spent the first few weeks of the competition counting down the days until she could send them all home. But as events at the palace force Eadlyn even further into the spotlight, she realizes that she might not be content remaining alone.

Eadlyn still isn’t sure she’ll find the fairytale ending her parents did twenty years ago. But sometimes the heart has a way of surprising you…and soon Eadlyn must make a choice that feels more impossible—and more important—than she ever imagined.
  


The amazing last book of the Selection series...? Nope. No regrets. I just didn't feel this one, just like how I felt with The One. Similar to the supposedly ending to this series, The Crown felt rushed. I guess Kiera had to wrap things up eventually. I'm just disappointed with the whole turn out of this one. 

Maybe I expected too much from the final book? Or maybe it wasn't well written like I think?

MAJOR MAJOR SPOILERS: (Read at your own risk!!!)




Let me start with Eadlyn and her development. Seems to me like it happened in one chapter. It just went way too fast for me. And I do understand that her twin leaving her and her mom almost dying takes a toll on someone, the change felt instant - as if she didn't have to try to mature and have her walls fall down and fall in love. It was like, *SNAP* I'm mature, patient and ready to fall in love!!! 

Okay, the whole book wasn't terrible. 

We finally got America and Maxon back!! In the last book, we didn't get a lot of moments with them and actually see how they were, after 18+ years of being married. With America's accident, it brought the two closer and they were teasing each other like the old times. Oh, and the way Maxon would not leave America's side made me want to hug the both of them!

And yes, Hale. Hale was one of my favorite suitors and Ean, I did not understand why he was still around and then... the plot twist. (SUPER SPOILER!) Hale and Ean had a thing! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING. BUT IT DELIGHTED ME EITHER WAY. And I am so glad with Hale and Eadlyn's relationship. I wish he was able to stay and design more fabulously described gowns for Eadlyn. 

Then we have Lady Brice, hmm. Not quite sure about this plot twist. It feels a bit forced, but also fits quite well. I believe it was placed in the wrong book. Wrong time. It's like Kiera just added the Lady Brice detail for more pozaz and wow, another plot twist factor. But I didn't totally hate this one.

So, back to the main story - 

there's another thing I did not get before we get to the most frustrating part. 

Eadlyn's sudden decision with making the kingdom into a constitutional monarchy. Correct me if I'm wrong but Eadlyn mentioned in electing a prime minister and stuff - and that made me want to throw the book away! BECAUSE, WHY!? It seems like an abrupt decision. We all know Eadlyn is not very popular with the people but this is so sudden, no formal discussion, probably just twice or thrice being mentioned in the book and all of a sudden she just drops it upon her kingdom. Because she's finally "in love"??? I can't imagine the chaos that little announcement will bring.

OKAY, HERE WE GO. THE MOST ANNOYING THING. AND THE BIGGEST SPOILER BECAUSE EADLYN AND...

ERIK?!

I saw this one coming in The Heir and I even shipped them! I thought Erik had a chance and that would be nice because Kile and Eadlyn would be very cliche. I already felt like Eadlyn was gonna end up with Erik but this book - ugh, this book made things very confusing!

The moments Erik and Eadlyn had were very scarce, Hell, Eadlyn and Kile had way more moments and development here! If this was a normal world, Kile and Eadlyn would have ended up together because of the way Eadlyn thought of Kile. 

But no here, suddenly in one chapter Eadlyn realizes she's in love with Erik since - who knows. And I could have accepted that - if she wasn't so sweet with Kile and want him but not love him. I feel like she loves Kile more but wants him to be free. Lol. I love Erik too, ( so much actually ) but it just lacks so much depth. In the end, Eadlyn looks like a little girl falling left and right.

What's done is done and this is the last book to my precious Selection series. It was rushed and not what I expected, but I loved it. Simply because I have fallen in love with the characters. It's sad that this was as rushed as The One but I'll take what I can get.

Thank you, Kiera for creating a beautiful world where princesses and princes exist, where lavish gowns and strong women where them exist. I loved this series despite its flaws.

Recommend this? Yes, if you're dying to finish the series. 

(THIS IS JUST A LONG LIST OF COMPLAINTS BUT THIS IS HOW I FEEL.)





No comments

Post a Comment

© baby face
Maira Gall